SUKHI URAD DAL (DRY SPLIT BLACK GRAM)
- Urad Dal-1 cup
- Tomatoes puree form-1 medium sized
- Cumin seeds (jeera)-1/4 teaspoon
- Asafoetida (hing)-half a pinch
- Turmeric powder-1/4 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder-1/4 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala powder-1/4 teaspoon
- Oil-1 tablespoon
- Water-2 cups
- After washing, soak the urad dal in water for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, drain out the excess water from the dal.
- In a pan, heat oil, add asafoetida (hing) & cumin seeds (jeera) & as they crackle, add tomatoes.
- To the tomatoes, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt mix well.
- As the mixture leaves oil add urad dal & mix well.
- Fry dal for 2 minutes & add 2 cups water.
- As the water comes to a boil, lower the flame & cover the pan half with the lid.
- Keep checking in between & as the water dries up completely, add garam masala powder & turn off the flame.
- Cover the pan completely with the lid for 5-10 minutes.
- After 5-10 minutes, stir dal well & sukhi urad dal is ready to serve.