WHITE CHICKPEA (WHITE CHANEY)
- White chaney (chickpea)-250 grams-1 cup
- A pinch of cooking soda
- Tomatoes (puree form) -4-5
- Asafoetida (hing)-a pinch
- Cumin seeds (jeera)-1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger (adrak)- half inch -sliced
- Coriander powder (dhania powder)-1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder (haldi)-1/4 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala powder-1/4 teaspoon
- Dry mango powder (amchoor)-1/4 teaspoon
- Oil-2 tablespoons
- Coriander leaves to garnish
My 1 cup measures 250 grams.
In case you are using a smaller sized cup take 1.5-2 cups of white chaney.
- Glaze white chaney with a pinch of cooking soda & soak them overnight in water.
- In the morning wash them properly so that soda gets washed away.
- In a cooker add chaney & water 2-3 times the quantity of chaney.
- Add salt & close the lid.
- Turn on the flame on high & as the pressure reaches the maximum, lower the flame & pressure cook for 20 minutes.
- This time is according to Hawkins Futura which I have used. You can adjust according to the vessel you are using.
- Now prepare tadka for the chaney.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add hing & as it crackles, add cumin seeds ( jeera) & ginger (adrak).
- As the crackle, add dhania powder, turmeric powder red chilli powder & allow the spices to cook for a minute.
- Then add tomatoes to them & mix well.
- Cook the tomatoes till they start leaving oil.
- White chaney must have got boiled by now.
- Open the lid of the pressure cooker.
- When the tomatoes leave oil, take out the chaney & add them to the tomatoes & fry for 2-3 minutes.
- This gives a very nice flavour to the chaney.
- Then add the water leftover in the cooker & add as required to the pan.
- Bring it to a good boil & cook till the are well done.
- Once they appear cooked, add garam masala powder & dry mango powder (amchoor).
- Mix well & garnish with coriander leaves (optional).
- White chickpea (chaney) are ready to serve.